Websters dictionary mandates no "r" at the end of words

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 1 00:17:59 UTC 2008

At 9/29/2008 01:45 PM, Paul Johnston wrote:
>I don't know whether Noah Webster was non-rhotic (I don't think so),
>but tons of Americans born in his home state and YOURS are, Tom.
>They still can get an American passport if they come from, say,
>Putnam, CT.

But what about the zillions of Americans who are rhotic?  How can an
American edition of a dictionary say "-r is never pronounced at the
end of words but when a word ending in -r is followed by a vowel the
-r can be pronounced."?  I'm being given permission to pronounce r in
certain places, but not in others?

(For me, pa:k is a Korean politician; a dork is not a dock, etc.)

Joel