"ye": "the" vs. "thee"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 1 02:50:11 UTC 2008

It appears, then, that part of my recent confusion is irrelevant to
what I was concerned about:  I had conflated "ye" (you) with "thee",
when they were/are separate.  It's only "ye" (the) and "ye" (you), as
printed in the 18th century, that I had assumed -- apparently
incorrectly -- had once been spelled with thorn, and wanted to distinguish.

In writings I am transcribing, I decided to change "ye" to "the" when
it was, and to leave "ye" unaltered when it was "you", so that my
readers wouldn't be confused about the pronunciation and meaning of
the two.  Am I on safe ground?

Joel