eggcorns in oakland?

Wed Oct 1 08:51:59 UTC 2008

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fractionalized has "To divide into
separate parts or sections: conflicting interests that tend to
fractionalize a society." for fractionalize.

In the _Journal of Economic Growth, Alberto Alesina, et al., have a
paper on fractionalization, which includes the leading sentence "We
provide new measures of ethnic, linguistic, and religious
fractionalization for about 190 countries." (www.stanford.edu/~wacziarg/downloads/fractionalization.pdf)

Google gives over 64,000 hits, so it seems this is fairly well
established, though I thought this looked like an eggcorn, too. Here
are three more from ESPN, FWIW. BB

-----

Arguably the most polarizing sports personality in the city's
history,Vick has been an even more divisive presence this offseason,
the rift often along racial lines. There are myriad fractionalized
camps here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2928795
) "Vick shouldn't exhale yet", by Len Pasquarelli, updated July 18, 2007

We should want the world to see us not for our politics, not for our
business, but for baseball as our metamorphic soul, inclusive, not
exclusive, diverse, not divisive, fraternal, not fractionalized. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2121535
; http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2121535&type=story)
"Transcript: Peter Gammons induction speech", updated August 1, 2008

..... and appreciate opening notes from George Bush and John Kerry in
the same mail and believing, as I did before we became
sofractionalized, in each man's goodness and dignity," Gammons wrote. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2596570
) "Gammons sounds like old self in return to work on ESPN", AP,
updated September 20, 2006