Websters dictionary mandates no "r" at the end of words

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 2 07:16:22 UTC 2008

To be fair the Webster's Student Dictionary by Barnes and Noble (an American Co.) though printed in USA does not say it's an American dictionary (but it does say "American edition copyright 1992,1999") .  Copyright shifted from Harrap Publishing (a UK Co.) in 1992.  It's phonetic notation looks like SAMPA.  Every ending "r" is written with an upside-down "e", because "-r is never pronounced at the end of words" it says.  Also "farm" is fa:m.  I suppose the "Webster" part is that US spelling is given first then British.  But it's clearly UK pronunciation written in European SAMPA.

I bought an older "Webster's Dictionary" (copyrights 1939 first to 1975 last) by Modern Promotions, NY.  It says "This dictionary is not published by the original publishers of Webster's Dictionary, nor by their ancestors."  So what makes it Websters?  I suppose the spelling.  The pronunciation guide is different than above, with a long line macron over the long vowels and the short vowels having no diacritics.  This is much more English like.  But the use is not good.  For short a it gives example words at, map, fat, afford, elephant, vocal.  Not consistent.  In truespel ~at, ~map, ~fat, ~ufford, ~elufint, ~voekool.(where oo is as in wool).

Both phonetic notations are substandard to truespel because they are computer (email,filename,spreadsheet) unfriendly.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.