"red herring" expression--Treatment by Robert Scott Ross

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Fri Oct 3 16:22:13 UTC 2008

Meriam Webster's interesting series "M-W's Word of the Day" treats "red
herring" today. By coincidence, an article on this expression appears in
the latest issue of Comments on Etymology, which I'm mailing out today.
The article is by Robert Scott Ross:  "Popularization of 'red
herring' by English political agitator William Cobbett."
(Comments on Etymology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, Oct./Nov. 2008, pp. 62-69.)

Gerald Cohen