No subject

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sat Oct 4 15:19:28 UTC 2008

this CNN report is such garbage -- thanks for pointing us to it, David
-- I'm going to use it in class it's so outrageous --

unfotunately, cnn doesn't even have a discuss or comment space.

how can anyone do this with a straight face? washington post tag
clouds are one thing -- at least there's the potential for humor there.

oh, and, forgive me for dignifying payack's comments with any kind of
analysis -- but reading level, bogus a category as it is because
people put too much faith in it as an absolute scale rather than one
of many possible ways of assessing prose, anyway, reading level  is
designed for written text, not speech analysis. that's why it's called
READING level, cause we READ it. what about that, cnn?

____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English