cultural notes from all over

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 7 01:13:31 UTC 2008

At 5:51 PM -0700 10/6/08, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>from the latest issue of Details (for style-sensitive -- straight
>metrosexual or gay -- men):
>
>1. "cougar", covered here in 2007
>
>2. "revenge porn": 'homemade porn uploaded by an ex-girlfriend or
>(usually) ex-boyfriend after particularly vicious breakup as a means
>of himiliating the ex'

and if she does it, it's called *her*miliating the ex  ;-)

>(from Urban Dictionary in 2007), p. 105 on.
>distressing story.  no doubt discussed elsewhere,  but not yet here.

I haven't been traveling in the right circles, but there was an
episode on the British TV show "Skins" (carried on BBC America) in
which the egregious Tony gets his ex-girlfriend Michelle to dump her
new squeeze Josh by up- or downloading (I can never remember which is
which) nude photos of Josh's sister and sending them to Michelle's
cell phone while making it appear as though they were sent by the
Josh (and thus involved a sort of visual incest).  I suspect even
UrbanDictionary doesn't have a name for that particular little scam
yet, although perhaps it's just a matter of time.

LH