more fan-hitting

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 12 03:08:19 UTC 2008

InDEED! Wilson, I would like to see the whole joke.

Roger Zelazny's classic _Lord of Light_ has an episode, perhaps a
whole chapter in length, which is integral to the plot, but which is
*also* a long shaggy-dog story involving a nobleman called the Shan of
Irabek and leading up to the line "Then the fit hit the Shan."

(Zelazny kept doing this kind of thing. In _Nine Princes in Amber_
there's another tale involving disgusting habits and leading up to
"There once was a hermit named Dave..." That tale ends there, with the
reader shuddering and groaning.)

m a m