'Onboard' as a Verb, and an Adverb

LanDi Liu strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 17 11:55:03 UTC 2008

In my experience working in various corporate jobs (Lockheed Martin, Johnson
and Johnson, Lehman Brothers, and Merrill Lynch), that kind of practice
(inventing new POS usages for words) is pretty common.  I get the impression
that it's also pretty common in real estate, insurance, and other
industries.  I think this is because new procedures are constantly being
developed, so new nouns and verbs are created to describe them.   From what
I've read, it's reasonably common to make new lexical words.  New function
words would be much more exceptional.

I don't see any adverb uses in the examples you gave, though.

Randy

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Doug_Harris <cats22 at stny.rr.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug_Harris <cats22 at STNY.RR.COM>
> Subject:      'Onboard' as a Verb, and an Adverb

> From an application for licensing with an insurance company:
>
> I confirm this is the correct FMO for which I want to onboard. (If this is
> not correct, please call your FMO and do not proceed with this onboarding
> process.)
> --
> IMHO, they've pirated a perfectly word for a silly-sounding use.
> dh

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China
My Manchu studies blog: