Wikipedia Unsure Whether African-American Should Be A A, A-A, A-a

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 20 14:29:48 UTC 2008

Unlike traditional (and stable and reliable) reference works,
Wikipedia is not under any kind of unified editorship. In general,
anyone can write an article and anyone can edit or change any part of
any article. This is how WP is meant to work.

One consequence is the disorderly kind of variation you're referring
to here. This "apparently indiscriminate switching" is "switching"
only in reading the article; in origin, it's almost certainly due to
many authors' writing and rewriting paragraphs, sentences, and phrases
piecemeal over a period of time. So "Wikipedia is unsure how to
hyphenate (Aa)frican(-)(Aa)merican" is like "American English is
unsure whether or not to merge low back vowels, and to what phonetic
value"-- except that reading a WP article would be analogous to
hearing it read in a patchwork of different voices, dialects, and
idiolects.

Mark Mandel