Wikipedia Unsure Whether African-American Should Be A A, A-A, A-a

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 20 21:23:32 UTC 2008

I live in a neighborhood with a large population of immigrants and
non-immigrant temporary residents. Many come from Africa, especially East
Aftrica (many shops have signs in Amharic). When moving in I talked briefly
with a woman who was standing on the corner, waiting for a friend. Our
conversation was in French, since she was not American and spoke no English.
I would call her "black", but not "African-American". I have always
understood that word to refer to black Americans. I've grown more careful
about "African-American" since moving here.

Mark Mandel