"Needful"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 21 15:25:25 UTC 2008

Thanks, John and Wilson.  And I have just, semi-accidentally,
discovered from 1740 a bit from a newspaper asking for information to
identify people who should be given reparation from the
government.  "They are desired to give in their Names (with needful
Vouchers)".  This surely means "required", akin to the "essential,
indispensable" that I (and John) infer.

Joel