Already use Spanish ya?

Wed Oct 22 18:44:13 UTC 2008

So, at least as common as

"Want make fun of handicapped people? You can anymore. Our president's retarded."

------Original Message------
From: Mark Mandel
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Sent: Oct 22, 2008 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Already use < Spanish ya?

I don't hear it as odd at all. "I want to X" implies that the speaker
is not yet X-ing, and "already S" implies that S is true, possibly
contrary to expectations. I don't know what's behind the ellipsis, but
it's no long jump from "I'm not yet X-ing" to "You're not X-ing".
Making fun of handicapped people is taboo, but the point here is that
there's (already) at least one handicapped person who it's NOT taboo
to mock, so "You already can."

Mark Mandel