Yah

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Oct 23 14:19:48 UTC 2008

From:    David Barnhart <dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM>

> I've noticed lately (within the last few months anyway) my older son (a
> college student) saying "yah" for "yes, you dummy" as if it were German with
> a certain emphasis.

> Any others noticed this yet?

Down here in Florida i've heard it (and picked it up in my own use, i
think) most frequently as containing a diphthong, as [jEa], often with
the glide drawn out a bit. I have, however, also heard [ja:].

It just sounds to me like some sort of extension of "yeah" with an
ironic "low and slow" pronunciation.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida