Generation ñ (enya)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 23 23:49:09 UTC 2008

Generation ñ (enya, for those like Google who
don't see accents) has made it to the NY Times.

Oct. 23, 2008, page A17 (New England Edition),
col. 4. "McCain is Faltering Among Hispanic Voters", by Larry Rohter.

"The Hispanic electorate [countryside] has grown
greatly since then [2004], its numbers swelled by
several million newly registered voters:
green-card holders who have recently become
American citizens and young bilingual and
bicultural Latinos who are sometimes referred to as "Generation ñ."

(At least he didn't use the verb-of-the-month, "referenced [as]".)

I don't think it's possible to separate
"Gen/generation ñ" from unaccented
"Gen/generation n" in Google.  But I did try
"Generation enya" in Google Groups, which yielded
only one real hit ever, from April 19, this
year.  (The other -- yes, there were only two --
is spurious, as it concatenates "Music for the
Jilted Generation" with Enya's album
"Enya".)  Google Web yields 96 hits for
"generation enya", and 274 for "gen enya", many
of which I suspect also refer to the singer.

Joel