"Out of pocket" = "missing some money"?

Mon Oct 27 12:02:42 UTC 2008

I always taken "out of pocket" to mean basically the same thing as "petty cash", not "missing (some) money".  "Out of pocket expenses" = everyday, incidental, or trivial expenses paid for with cash.  Of course, such expenses can add up to a considerable sum and become "missing' in the sense that at the end of the month we have no idea where all our money has gone!