Heard on the Today show: "whuppin'"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Oct 28 15:04:15 UTC 2008

Yes, definitely a lexified "nonstandard" pronunciation (cf. "heist," etc.).  The pronunciation more strictly represented by the spelling "whipping"--and perhaps the speling itself--would be inappropriate in certain situations.

By analogy: The proverb "Bros before hos" (sp?) cannot reasonably be written (much less pronounced) as "Brothers before whores"--by anybody!

--Charlie