Chinglish

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 3 20:51:47 UTC 2008

There's a paper in the Summer 2008 "American Speech" which we members of American Dialect Society receive quarterly.  It's about "ING" pronunciation differences between north/south W Va and other factors.  It looks at the pronunciation of "n" in  the suffix ING (I don't know why it's capitalized) and whether the "n" is alveolar (a normal front "n" made by the tongue tip contacting the top gum alveolar ridge) or whether its velar (a back "n" made by the back of the tongue raised to contact the velar region behind the palate).

It was not explained how it was determined which sound for the letter "n" in suffix "-ing" was which.

I would assume it was done by trained listeners to sound files instead of viewing spectrograms.  I assume the key things were that if the "i" sounds like long e ~ee and the "g" is pronounced, then it's velar.  If the "i" sounds like short "i" and the "g" is not pronounced, then its alveolar.  The ~ee sound corresponds to a raised back of the tongue in anticipation of going to the "g" and thus velarizes the "n" in transition.  The ~i sound anticipates not going to the "g" so the "n" is normal or alveolar.  For instance the word "singin'" has a velar "n" first and an alveolar "n" second.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.