Revisiting 'To Get Along, Go Along" And Variations on Same

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 5 12:20:20 UTC 2008

This morning, I find 3,630 Google hits for "Get along to go along" (in quotation marks), including one in a 1997 book about LBJ that actually attributes THAT saying to Sam Rayburn; the earliest in Google Books is (possibly) 1989.  In the form "Get along and go along" there are 4,550 Google hits; Google Books shows a 1971 book that quotes Julian Bond as saying it, and there's an apparent instance from a 1968 publication. "If you want to go along, get along" gets a small number of hits.

This is probably not an example of what Wolfgang Mieder has called "antiproverbs"--ironic adaptations or parodies or jocular misapplications of proverbs (common in cartoons and commercial advertising, as well as playful oral discourse), which sometimes enter oral tradition as proverbs in their own right--but rather a simple misquotation of the proverb, probably based on an unconscious reanalysis. In my judgmetn, "Get along and (to) go along" is now itself a proverb.

--Charlie