antedating (?) of "hep" 1907

Fri Sep 5 21:58:38 UTC 2008

[The  Actor's Boarding House and Other Stories, By Helen Green] was
> published in 1907 but it says that the stories have all appreared in (NY?)
> Morning Telegraph (in 1906?).

Yes, a New York paper.  I'm the world's foremost authority on Helen Green, and some years ago I tried to find a file of the Telegraph for the years she wrote for it (1905-1910 or thereabouts), but didn't succeed.  As I recall, the NYPL had it up to 1905, and after 1910.  It could be a good source for slang, since it devoted itself to the raffish elements of NYC culture.
In its later decades, it was strictly a horse-player's organ, and was bought out and killed by the still-extant Racing Form in the 1950s.  But the Form doesn't have a file of the Telegraph from before the 1930s.
Not to be confused with the NY Telegram, by the way.

If SG has actually read The Actors' Boarding House, I will buy him a beer, should we ever meet.  We Helen Green fans are a small group, but intensely collegial.

GAT

George A. Thompson