t/d deletion

Sat Sep 6 22:10:08 UTC 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Ron Butters wrote:

> But Arnold's quote is exactly what I said and merely supports my
> point: "t/d
> deletion [is] a specific case of consonant cluster reduction." That
> is, no
> isolated rule of "t/d deletion" that governs the change of FIND to
> FIN' e..

look, we got into this because i referred to "t'd deletion" and you,
ron, acted as it i'd made up the term.  there's 40 years of research
on the phenomenon under this name, and i've now pointed this out.  to
note that there's a larger collection of phenomena that t/d deletion
is a special case of does not negate the interest and value of the t
and d cases as a research area for variationists.

i will have nothing more to say about this topic.

arnold