"grog"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Sep 8 12:42:01 UTC 2008

West includes the quote with "grog [rum]" in the chapter "The Emergence of the
Author: 1714-25." It's presumably from some edition of volume II of The Family
Instructor. Apparently Vol. 1 was first publshed in 1715 and Vol. 2 in 1718.
Google has Vol. II in the eighth ed. corrected 1764 which has "ginger" not
"grog" (p. 291)
http://books.google.com/books?id=v3QPAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR9&dq=intitle:family+intitle:instructor+date:1700-1799&lr=&as_brr=1#PPA291,M1

Whitehall Evening Post or London Intelligencer (London, England), [British
Library collection] Tuesday, January 31, 1749; Issue 465. p. 1 (?) col.
1 (from
the Jamaca Gazette):
"...but short Allowance of Grog was worst of all..."

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson