"X's widower"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 8 14:24:28 UTC 2008

At 9:53 AM -0400 9/8/08, David Bowie wrote:
>From:    Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
>
>>The world has come a long way in the past third of a century or so. In
>>1975, Robin Lakoff's book Language and Women's Place had the following
>>to say about widows and widowers:
>
>Whenever i assign this article for one of my classes, i make it a point
>to discuss afterward that this article reflected (as Lakoff herself
>points out) the norms of a very narrow slice of the US populace, and it
>was also subject (as Lakoff doesn't point out) to issues of confirmation
>bias as she collected the examples.
>
>I think she was largely right in this observation

Largely right, if (i) we assume that the current asymmetry in use
obtained by googling "X's widower"/"a widower" vs. "X's widow"/"a
widow" would have been at least as strong in the mid-1970s *and* (ii)
if we assume that what Lakoff really meant in starring "John is
Mary's widower" was that it was considerably less likely than "Mary
is John's widow".  The latter (the confusion of what's relatively
hard to contextualize vs. what's actually ill-formed) was a general
problem with purported ungrammaticality judgments in most linguistic
work of that era, of whatever theoretical persuasion.

LH