"grog" -- not Defoe

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 8 15:37:13 UTC 2008

Here is what seems to be the definitive answer, disproving the
Wikipedia's thesis, from someone who had quick access to ECCO. (I
would have to traipse from home in Arlington, Mass., to Cambridge and
Boston -- not too long a trip, but one that I had yet to schedule --
and now will not.)

>It's 'ginger' in the 1718 edition, ii. 304; 1720 edition, ii. 288;
>and 1741 edition, ii. 291, at least according to the digitisations
>in ECCO. NB part/dialogue numberings vary.

Correspondent's email address upon request (and permission).

Joel