"or so"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 8 20:56:12 UTC 2008

In my Standard Idiolect of English, the phrase "or so" means "approximately but at least." So you could have knocked me down with a dodo feather when I read the following:

2008 Roberta Frank, "Afterword," in Burton Raffel, trans. _Beowulf_ (N.Y.: Signet) 141:
The vivid rendering of _Beowulf_ by Burton Raffel [published in 1963] has held up well over the past half century or so."

I got news for you, Roberta Frank, Marie Borroff Professor of English at Yale University! 1963 is not fifty years ago "or so." It's forty-five years ago and, by God, it's going to stay that way!

Does anybody here feel any different?

JL