SpinSpotter

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 9 12:49:46 UTC 2008

At 1:05 AM -0400 9/9/08, Michael Covarrubias wrote:
>over at headsup the blog there's a look at this.
><http://headsuptheblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/kings-camelopard-or.html>
>
>at least one problem that fev finds with the algorithm (or the reporter
>doing the story): the usual confusion about passive voice.
>
>"passive voice (example: a story says "bombs land" without stating which
>party is responsible for them);"
>
>i suppose it's passive because the bombs just sit there being landed by
>gravity? what should it say? 'bombs fly downwards'?

"X dropped bombs (on Y)"?  I guess they could have called it
"unaccusative voice", but that might have been a bit obscure for some
readers.  Presumably the "passive" character stems from the fact that
both true agentless passives ("The boat was sunk", "Mistakes were
made") and unaccusatives ("The boat sank", "Bombs land on X") are
devices to suppress the agent and thus to duck the assignment of
responsibility, especially to oneself.

LH