"X's widower"

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Sep 9 17:34:32 UTC 2008

From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

> Are there many - or any - people still around who learned as I did
> that a baby is an "it" and not a "he" or a "she"?

My Gen-X self, for one.

Actually, it's a bit more nuanced than that, as i use it: A fetus is an
it, and a baby is a he or a she if its sex is known, but otherwise it is
completely polite to refer to a baby as an it.

I have, however, run into people who find that referring to babies (and
even fetuses) as its is somewhere just this side of murdering your
dinner guests in terms of politeness.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida