Baby's an It (call of the obstetrician?)

Wed Sep 10 02:47:52 UTC 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> At 4:10 PM -0700 9/9/08, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>> I've often wondered if "baby" should be considered a pronoun. You see
>> it in sentences like (making them up):
>>
>> When baby gets into trouble
>>
>> My guess is you also see:
>>
>> When doggy won't obey
>> When kitty won't come
>>
>> BB
>
> More a proper name than a pronoun, I'd reckon.
>
> LH

Something like Miss America, perhaps?

On the other hand, while I don't read parenting material, I would
think that baby as a reflexive works, similar to a pronoun, but unlike
a proper noun:

When baby sees baby in the mirror...
* When John sees John in the mirror

BB