lipstick on a pig

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Sep 10 13:28:21 UTC 2008

The "lipstick on a pig" proverb is probably a variant of "You can dress up a pig, but it's still a pig" or "You can dress a pig in silk (bows, etc.) . . . ," which may be older.  In Thomas Fuller's _Gnomologia_ (1732): "A hog in armor is still a hog"; I'm not sure that's quite the same, though (the phrase "a hog in armor" had its own separate existence, referring to extreme personal awkwardness).

--Charlie