"Sambo" 1657, antedates OED 1704-

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 11 17:01:26 UTC 2008

I will ask on a list that might have experts on the period and
location, but in the meanwhile:

At 9/11/2008 10:33 AM, Baker, John wrote:
>         I had supposed that "wore black" referred to clerical attire
>(i.e., that Sambo was as moral as a clergyman),

Possibly, but my sense of the period says skin color is more
likely.  Also: "Sambo" was apparently part of a group of "axe-men"
helping to cut a road.  Ligon writes, between the "compass"
demonstration and the "wore black" text, that Sambo "desired me, that
he might be made a Christian; for, he thought to be a Christian, was
to be endued with all those knowledges he wanted."  So Sambo is not
described as moral, but just wanting knowledge.

>but "eat green" was a
>complete mystery
>
>         It's interesting to see how old "Sambo" is.  Is this originally
>an African name?

I think there is dispute about the etymology; wasn't there something
earlier this year on this list?  The OED takes its etymology as "[a.
Sp. zambo, applied in America and Asia to persons of various degrees
of mixed Negro and Indian or European blood; also, a name for a kind
of yellow monkey; perh. identical with zambo bandy-legged (according
to Diez repr. L. scambus).]"  There is a slight hint that the author
of the article that pointed me to the 1657 citation thinks "Sambo"
derives from an Akan day name; others on this list probably know more.

Joel