A letter to ABC Online News in which the writer quotes himself

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 11 19:14:31 UTC 2008

"I [feel] like blowing my brains out, I am so sick with the headaches _& them_."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PainManagement/comments?type=story&id=126909

The writer is describing a consequence of the pain of a cluster headache.

Personally, I don't get the _& them_. I have cluster headaches and I
know that you can't have just one: they're called "cluster headaches"
because they come in clusters. Maybe the writer meant to say... Well,
I don't know what he meant to say. Usually, _and them_ means "X and
those other people usually associated with X." But that doesn't make
any sense, here. I've tried, but I can't get "the headaches and those
other things usually usually associated with them." The only thing
associated with a cluster headache is pain! Pain!! PAIN!!! that has to
be felt to be believed.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain