Source of "better than 50/50 chance of being cured or improved"?

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sat Sep 13 12:38:06 UTC 2008

Try (for "somewhere between 1910-1912 in this country, a random patient...had,
for the first time in the history of mankind, a better than fifty-fifty chance
of profiting from the encounter")
said to be quoted in Herman L. Blumgart in "Caring for the Patient,"
New England
J. of Medicine, v. 270 (1964) p. 449.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson