Flying Fuck (1932)?

Sat Sep 13 17:27:28 UTC 2008

This is a joke, right? I mean, the censors "let it pass" because it contained
no objectionable words, not because one could not imagine objectionable
words--or unobjectionable words--filling the gap.

For example, the censors did not let pass "You will Blanche, you will"
because they realized that she could have said, "You fucking will, Blanche, you
fucking will" but didn't. But that doesn't mean that the line doesn't mean "You
certainly will, Blanche, you certainly will."

In a message dated 9/12/08 11:23:57 PM, hwgray at GMAIL.COM writes:

> Because the censors would have let it pass?
>
> -HWG
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: Flying Fuck (1932)?

> http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/scarface-script-transcript-paul-muni.html

> >>This quotation is already in HDAS, which has two earlier
> >>examples of "take a flying...".
> >
> > How do we know it isn't "... leap"?
> >
> > Joel

> --
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> -----
> -Mark Twain

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog,