OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Sep 16 14:19:53 UTC 2008

Thanks for this information, Larry. I'd never heard/noticed this "negative" version of the older, more familiar proverb. It's an example of what one paremiologist (Doyle) has termed "counter-proverbs": outright, explicit rebuttals of established proverbs (not to be confused with what Wolfgang Mieder has called "anti-proverbs," which are parodies or other ironic adaptations or applications of proverbs). A counter-proverb may occur as an ad-hoc sententia, or it may enter oral tradition as itself a proverb--as has evidently occurred with "One rotten (bad) apple doesn't spoil the whole barrel (bunch)."

--Charlie