origin of quotation (Sucker born every minute/hour/day) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 16 17:09:39 UTC 2008

Did the expert confidence man really say:

"There _was_ a sucker born every minute, and some _have remained_
suckers all their lives"

or did he actually say:

"There _is_ a sucker born every minute, and some _remain_ suckers all
their lives"?

Tense by sequence?

Tense by relation?

Possibly, the author intended to write:

"It was an expert confidence man who said that there was a sucker born
every minute, and some have remained suckers all their lives"

with clear tense by sequence and the typesetter messed up.

-Wilson

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: origin of quotation (Sucker born every minute/hour/day)
>              (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED=20
> Caveats: NONE
> =20
> "Keep Your Money -- People Would Do Well to Look Carefully before They
> Leap" (no author)
> _The Daily Inter Ocean_, (Chicago, IL) Saturday, January 07, 1882; pg.
> 7;  col C=20
> "It was an expert confidence man who said that "there was a sucker born
> every minute, and some have remained suckers all their lives." "
>

>  _____ =20

-----
-Mark Twain