Washington Post on Alaskan accents ... if there is such a thing

Doug_Harris cats22 at STNY.RR.COM
Sat Sep 20 13:20:25 UTC 2008

She also referred to her audience, on at least one occasion (re-presented
by Jon Stewart on 'The Daily Show') as "guys and gals". Is _that_ an
Alaskanism or, as I suspect her g-stripping is, a 'folksy bit' by a
politician.
dh

William Salmon wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/19/AR2008091903
524_pf.html

If there's such a thing as an Alaskan accent, it sounds on Palin a lot
like the Upper Midwest, a more subtle version of the actress Frances
McDormand in the movie "Fargo."

Palin regularly and seemingly deliberately rounds off words that end in
"g" -- the economy is "hurtin' " and needs "fixin.' " After McCain
answered a question the other night, she asked, "Can I add somethin'?"