"long-term mediocre major-league pitchers"

Thu Sep 25 00:07:52 UTC 2008

Whether Larry is alone or not, it seems to me that the nasty blogs, etc., of generally rabid fans are not very good company. But the fact that Larry's compadres use "mediocre" as a term of disparagment certainly supports my contention that calling a veteran player "mediocre" strongly suggests that he is sub-par. If "ordinary" is the top of the scale, then what else can "mediocre" be but not so hot?

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:09:27
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "long-term mediocre major-league pitchers"

At 12:52 PM -0400 9/24/08, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>My understanding of "mediocre" is something like 'not up to
>average'.  This is more or less confirmed by the American Heritage
>definition: "ADJECTIVE: Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary."

Note that "moderate...in quality" and "ordinary" are not
interchangeable with "inferior in quality" or "not up to average".
There's a range of application here.

>I'd say that "18 years, 9 different teams, lifetime 74-67, ERA 4.16"
>is extradordinary even when compared to most other major league
>baseball players, many of whom last less than one season. So this
>particular player, in my book, does not qualify as "mediocre" or
>even particularly ordinary.

Just to see if I was being idiosyncratic or unfair, I tried googling
"Kent Mercker" + mediocre.  From the first page of hits:

The problem is that as mediocre as Mercker has aspired to be for the
last couple of years,...
[from a BaseballProspectus web analysis for the 1999 Red Sox]

Kent Mercker, mediocre reliever and professional tattletale...
[from a blog on the 2004 Cubs]

I guess in that sense, Mercker is an upgrade; but I'd just as well
have Reyes or Thompson or Tavarez pitch in these situations that call
for leftys rather than adding a mediocre left-hander. [from a blog on
the 2005 Orioles]

His [K.M.'s] fantasy value gets a boost from a few extra saves, but
his numbers will otherwise be pretty mediocre.
[from a fantasy blog on the 2006 Cincinnati Reds]

Another postings cite his "mediocre" work, talents, or status as a
member of the Indians, Red Sox, etc.

At least if my judgment is off, I'm not alone!

LH