Those frightful Republicans

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 25 11:44:18 UTC 2008

Jim Bunning told Treasury Secretary Paulson, at Tuesday's senate
committee meeting, "I am frightful almost to the point of panic
because I don't see a plan to address this financial crisis we are in."

I too am frightful about former professional baseball players who
become Republican U.S. senators.

Frightful:  "{dag}1. subjectively. Full of terror; timid;
alarmed."  Last citation 1802.  As obsolete as Bunning, who also said
the bailout plan is un-American.

"2.b. Horrible to contemplate, shocking, dreadful, revolting. Often
hyperbolically applied to bad or annoying things; cf. awful, fearful,
terrible, etc."  If I were to say "I am frightful", I would just have
looked in a mirror.

Joel