Antedating of "Jazz" as Verb

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 27 23:10:21 UTC 2008

So, as the music came north, the name went south. Interesting! Just
goes to show you: you never know.

OT re Wikipedia. Once, I had no respect for that WIP. Whenever I
looked up some subject about which I know much in order to learn more,
I would always be disappointed. The articles contained less than I
already knew, misspellings of the greatest names in the field, stupid
assertions, wild guesses presented as fact, etc., etc.

On the other hand, when I look up subjects about which I know next to
nothing, I'm always amazed by the breadth and depth of knowledge
available.

I just hope that this isn't only because I lack the background to know
the difference.

-Wilson

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Antedating of "Jazz" as Verb
>
>        The most plausible account is that "jazz" was first applied to
> music by Bert Kelly, who was a banjoist with Art Hickman's band at Boies
> Spring.  Kelly formed Bert Kelly's Jazz Band in Chicago in 1914 or 1915,
> and by mid-1915 "jazz" was being used interchangeably with "blues" for a
> style of music.  Many of the Chicago musicians, and the style of music
> itself, came from New Orleans, so most people supposed, wrongly, that
> the word came from there as well.  The Wikipedia article,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(word), which is largely written by
> me, discusses the history in more detail.
>

> John Baker

-----
-Mark Twain