Antedating of "Jazz" as Verb

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 28 23:08:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM, George Thompson
<george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Antedating of "Jazz" as Verb
>
> A few years ago, Oxford UPr published Kansas City jazz : from ragtime to bebop-- a history.  This made use of a number of interviews with KC musicians, mostly or all black, and many of the interviews had been done decades before the book was published, so that a number were with men who were musicians in the 1910s.  they generally agreed that they did not call the music that they were playing at that time "jazz".
> There was also a quite successful vaudeville act during most of the 1910s called the Creole Band, made up of black musicians from New Orleans (including Freddie Keppard), though they met and formed their band in California.  There's been a book on them recently, by Lawrence Gushee.  They also didn't call their music "jazz".

Very interesting!

> The Boies Spring to Hickman to Kelly connection makes sense.
> Hickman had been director of entertainment at boies Spring; his band played a lively, peppy dance music, and "jazz", meaning energy, vigor would make a good trademark; Kelly was a sideman to Hickman who went off on his own, leading a small group and taking the word with him.
> Unfortunately, none of this is very well documented from sources of the 1910s, except for Hickman's presence at Boies Spring in 1913.  We know about it from interviews with Kelly, long after the fact.  He wrote a book which was supposed to be published by a vanity press in the 1960s, but somehow it never appeared.  If I recall, it would have been called "How I Invented Jazz".  The manuscript was in the hands of his son, a few years ago.  I don't think anyone has turned up an ad or article saying "Art Hickman and his Jazz Band are now playing for dancing. . . ."  Bert Kelly was said to have caused a sensation when he reached Chicago, the Original Dixieland Jazz Band were also supposed to have been a sensation when they formed in chicago and borrowed the word Jazz from Kelly's group, and the ODJB was supposed also to have torn up NYC when they opened there, but it seems that these occasions were famous retroactively.
> I made some attempt to look through daily newspapers from Frisco and  chicago for news stories or ads, but since I don't live in either town, that's a pain in the ass to do, involving interlibrary loan of microfilms.  Plus, I don't give a damn about anything else that may have happened in those towns.  But to the extent that I did read these papers, I found nothing useful.  I looked through a number of NYC papers, which of course were easily to hand, and since I ahve a general interest in NYC, I was rewarded by occasional tidbits that had nothing to do with what I was after.  (this is the performing seal approach to research: I don't mind spending an afternoon reading a century-old newspaper, but I require being tossed a herring every so often.  The Frisco and Chicago papers didn't have any herrings for me.)
> Teh NYTimes and The Evening Sun seemed to have had the best coverage of NYC nightlife, ca. 1916-1917.

Again, very interesting!

> Speaking of Frisco, there was a vaudeville dancer during the 1910s named Joe Frisco, whose specialty was a "jazz dance".  He's spoken of unkindly in the history of jazz dance because his act had nothing to do with jazz music nor with what later was thought of as jazz dance.  He was what was otherwise called an eccentric dancer, and evidently he took the name "jazz dance" from the word's other original meaning: nonsense, foolishness, &c.  I looked for references to him, also, trying to find when he started to used the "jazz dance" billing.

I've heard of Joe Frisco as a dancer, though I know longer recall where or when.

> Getting back to Hickman: he made three major mistakes in his career: he stayed in San Francisco, except for one summer in NYC; he played tightly arranged "sweet" music, not improvisational hot music -- one of his arrangers was Ferdy Grofe, who later was with Paul Whiteman; and he died young.  But lately he's gotten some attention in Allyn Shipton's history of jazz and there are 2 CDs of his recordings.  Perhaps some musicologist will work on him and help us out.

Isn't Ferdy the guy who wrote "On The Trail," a part of the "Grand
Canyon Suite that the Philip Morris Co. once used as its theme song,
back in radio days? Every radio show sponsored by the PM co. had "on
The Trail" as its theme song, IIRC.

-Wilson

> Kelly was a banjoist who left performing by the end of the 1910s or so; at first, he became a booker for jazz groups, then opened jazz clubs, and finally ran the hat check concessions at several nightclubs.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

-----
-Mark Twain