Websters dictionary mandates no "r" at the end of words

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 30 18:27:40 UTC 2008

For an American publisher to say this below is incredible to me.

The Barnes and Noble "Webster's Student Dictionary - Newly Revised Edition" 1999 says: "-r is never pronounced at the end of words but when a word ending in -r is followed by a vowel the -r can be pronounced."

The phonetic notation appears to be SAMPA.  All the words ending in "r" are represented with an upside down e (no "r").  The word "park" is pa:k.  This is not varified by m-w.com.  How could a "student dictionary" be so wrong?

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.