sumetary

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 1 07:23:08 UTC 2009

Paul,
It's not an error if it's true.  Teachers were forbidden to tell kids that letters stand for sounds.  This was in a California school under whole language.  Teachers were fired.  Also, I recently took a course as an assistant reader for kids having trouble reading.  The last thing the instructor said was "Don't tell them that letters stand for sounds."  No time to dispute this statement.

There's a new commercial "Teach your baby to read" where 1 year old kids are shown cue cards with words on them.  THe commercial shows the kids reading the cards correctly.  Then it is said that the child could figure out the pronunciation of new words - it learned letter-sound correspondence without being taught.  The kid figured out reality.  Actually, studies show that this "indirect instruction" is not as good as direct instruction on letter-sound correspondence.  But this is one smart kid.

I'm not a purist.  Two of my books count the number of ways each of the 40 phonemes of USA English are spelled.  Truespel book 4 finds that 90% of the consonants and 50% of the vowels are spelled in the first most popular way.  So tradspel needs a lot of sight word memorizing.

What's recently important is that "phonemic awareness" correlates to successful readers.  There's only 40 phonemes in USA English.  That makes it simple to learn to write and read using only 40 spellings of 40 phonemes.  See IBM's Writing to Read" phonetic method.

You were a gifted reader.  Those gifted in other ways but not-so-gifted in reading could use a little help.  So truespel fills the gap, for the first time integrating reading instruction with dictionary keys and translation guides.

see truespel.com