Labov

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 1 20:58:03 UTC 2009

Check the Kirshenbaum ASCII IPA http://www.blahedo.org/ascii-ipa.html
and you'll see that [@] represents IPA schwa, a mid central vowel.
That's not a variant of some other vowel.  It's a specific vowel
sound.  I don't know which IPA you checked, but the one I've taught
for years, using sources like The IPA Handbook and Peter Ladefoged's A
Course in Phonetics (Ladefoged was one of the contributors to the
latest versions of the IPA), IPA has an [o], which represents the
vowel sound in the first syllable of "sofa," at least for a Northern
speaker like me.  When you say that "o" can stand for many sounds,
you're talking about the letter <o> as used in English orthography,
not the phonetic symbol [o] as used in the IPA.  We have to be careful
that we're talking about the same things, and in this case we're not.

Rather than glazing over, why not spend a little time learning the
IPA.  Then at least you'll know what most of us are talking about.

Herb