Analyze word and phrase frequency

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 4 23:34:45 UTC 2009

But why did you decide that there are no compound words in which the
words are separated orthographically by spaces?  That orthographic
convention is a cultural convention and not clearly grounded in
linguistic structure.

Herb

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Analyze word and phrase frequency
>
> Point is that word lists from counters need manual culling.  One obvious outcome is that there are no two-word words (like "tidal wave").
>
> If typos could be figured out and retyped, that would be ideal for the word count.
>
> These decisions show what I went through in my culling process for the 5000 word list used in book 4.
>

> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
> see truespel.com

>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>> Poster: Herb Stahlke
>> Subject: Re: Analyze word and phrase frequency
>>
>> Tom,
>>
>> Have you tested your definitions for accuracy. I understand that a
>> computer count won't get everything right and so you have to program
>> in certain common strings that should be omitted from the count. But
>> excluding single letters followed by a period? You would lose cases
>> like
>>
>> She ran as fast as I.
>>
>> Since you'd be counting all sorts of unprepared text, the treatment of
>> hyphenated words would treat "non-" like a word. Counting all
>> two-word compounds as two words ignores the morphology of compounding,
>> which is not reflected accurately in our orthography.
>>
>> Ignoring misspellings means running spellcheck on your results, but
>> the problem with spellcheck is that it only excludes words that don't
>> match anything in its dictionary. I spent a lot of time in the 80s
>> working in computer assisted instruction, and one of the projects I
>> devoted time to was developing a probabilistic spelling checker, a
>> program that could look a word that doesn't match the dictionary and
>> judge, by using letter frequency by position by length of word,
>> whether a misspelling is an otherwise correct answer. Most CAI simply
>> rejected all answers that weren't an exact match, which isn't very
>> useful in the language arts.
>>
>> So what do you lose by your rules and what does this do to the
>> accuracy of your word counts?
>>
>> Herb
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

>>> 2. Intelligible (no typos).
>>> 3. Does not include numbers, punctuation, acronyms.
>>> 4. Two-word words (like tidal wave) are two words.
>>> 5. Hyphens count as spaces so hyphenated words are two words.
>>> 6. Reattach hyphenated words at end of line (or ignore).