Heard on Jerry Springer: "the bird is the word"

Thu Apr 9 02:42:57 UTC 2009

The cock =  pussy business is not just a black thing. Many Southern  Duke freshmen terrified their Yankee roommates by expressing a desire to "get some cock this weekend" back in the days of segregation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:12:38
To: <ronbutters at aol.com>
Cc: <ADS-L at listserv.uga.edu>
Subject: Re: Heard on Jerry Springer: "the bird is the word"

Damn! Nobody ever explained it to me that way, before! The connection
between "cock" and "bird" in that sexual sense had never occurred to
me. But, don't forget, in the BE of my era, "cock" as a slang term has
only the mirror-image meaning, "vagina" and "cock" = male chicken" is
referred to only as "rooster."

It was years before a white friend was kind enough to explicate the
pun involved in the name/movie title, "Rooster Cockburn." Prior to my
hearing the explanation, the title of the movie, for me, might as well
have been "John Doe." OTOH, the punch lines of the
thigh-slapping-funny-to-adolescent-black-boys joke,

Q. By the way, you fuck?
A. Yes ma'am! Eat cock, too!

would probably have been a mystery to most, if not all, white hearers,
since the joke made not the slightest reference to homosexuality, it
being the case that "eat cock" meant specifically to "suck or lick the
'pearl tongue' or clitoris.

-Wilson
–––
-----