boo (interj. 1800, v. 1833)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Apr 9 13:06:25 UTC 2009

What an elegant little essay, Ben!

As for oooing (not aahing) to express mass affection for an athlete or other celebrity whose name contains the elongatable vowel /u/, like Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Benedict (of the Atlanta Braves in the 1980s), occasioning frequent notations by radio and TV announcers that the crowd isn't actually booing:  The first instance I ever heard concerned the University of Texas football player Steve Wooster in the late 1960s, whose introduction and whose exploits were commonly marked with a resounding unison "Woooooooo" from the fans.

--Charlie