lookit

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 03:12:20 UTC 2009

Although I cannot cite any specific instances at the moment, it is an
expression that occurs with some frequency in blues songs, so there is
at least some occurrence in ABE, although I cannot say, with any
certainty, which region. At the moment, I can only think of John Lee
Hooker. If I were transcribing the materials, I probably would have
written "Lookee here!" which is what most lyrics transcriptions have.

The expression also appears in a Dwight Yoakam song
http://www.absolutelyrics.com/lyrics/view/dwight_yoakam/intentional_heartache/

Oddly enough, even the Wiggles (that would be an Australian group that
aims at young children) have a song with "Lookee" being its central
element (Lookin' for Jeff).

    VS-)