Antedating of "Tarheel" Meaning North Carolinian

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 16 15:31:44 UTC 2009

*1866 **The Land We Love* I (Aug.) 293*:*Kirkland's N. C. brigade (of as
true metal as men are made of) was passing us to take position on our left,
and greeted us with "Rice-birds," "Sand-lappers!" "Hagood's foot cavalry!"
etc. One of our men cried out,"" Go it, *tar-heels !" *This title the
North-Carolina troops were justly proud of, it having been given them at the
battle of Manassas, where a general remarked, "That regiment of
North-Carolinians must have tar on their heels to make them stick as they
do." To this retort of "Go it *tar-heels!" *one of Kirkland's men replied :
"Yes, we are tar-heels, and tar *sticks;"  *and "Yes," shouted back another
of the South-Carolina rice-birds, "when the fire gets hot, the *tar runs."*

JL