"gohr" not in English dictionaries?

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 21 04:32:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Benjamin Zimmer <
bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> This is presumably an Egyptian variant of standard Arabic "juHr",
> which Hans Wehr's Arabic-English Dictionary defines as "hole, den,
> lair, burrow." The "j" ("jim") of classical Arabic is realized in
> Egyptian as /g/.

When you say the "jim" of classical Arabic, is the "j" /dZ/ or /j/?  I'm
interested in this because you said it's realized in Egyptian as /g/.
 Manchu /g/ is often realized in Chinese as /tS/ (pinyin "j").  I'm
wondering if this is a widespread variation, especially in transliterating
things from one language to another.

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China
My Manchu studies blog:

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list