P & Q

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Apr 23 11:30:51 UTC 2009

So, does this cite and the other cite ("So now you're in your Ps and
Qs") suggest a clothing etymology?

Does the "P"  here stand for "perfumed"? What would the "Q" be?

Very, very interesting.

Could we have polygenesis for the phrase? Could a clothing ety, and a
handwriting/printing ety both be influenced by the proximity of the
letters in the alphabetic ordering?

---Amy West